Wiki Laparoscopic drainage of pelvic abscesses

michele1me@yahoo.com

Contributor
Best answers
I'm trying to find a CPT code for the above description. It's not the appendix. The patient has diverticulitis. The doctor states abscesses were in the left lower quadrant and right side of the upper pelvis. Also located between the uterus and bladder. He doesn't mention that the abscesses are on the colon. Can someone help me? Thank you!

Hello michele1me@yahoo.com,

I am thinking CPT 49322, see the code description below:

CPT 49322: he physician makes a 1.0-centimeter incision in the umbilicus through which the abdomen is inflated and a fiberoptic laparoscope is inserted. A second incision is made directly below the umbilicus, just above the pubic hairline, through which a trocar can be passed into the abdominal cavity to deliver instruments. The physician manipulates the tools to view the pelvic organs through the laparoscope. An additional incision may be needed for a second light source. Once the biopsy site is viewed through the laparoscope, a 5.0-centimeter incision is made just above the site. Through this incision, the physician uses an aspirating probe to aspirate a cavity or cyst or to collect fluid for culture. The instruments are removed and the incisions are sutured.

Hope this helps~

M. Hannus, CPC, CPMA, CRC