Wiki labral debridement and bicep tenotomy

AT2728

Expert
Best answers
I need some clarification... Would a labral debridment and bicep tenotomy with no mention of being extensive be billable as 29823-extensive? Does the physician need to specify the debridment as extensive?

Here's the portion of the debridment documentation from the op report--

The patient did have a labral tear with a split biceps tendon.
At this point in time it was determined to perform a biceps tenotomy and a up biter wasused to perform the biceps tenotomy. The labrum was then debrided with a shaver.

In addition he documented and performed 29827 and 29826--so I'm only questioning whether the debridements above are enough to bill extensive.

Thanks
April

I need some clarification... Would a labral debridment and bicep tenotomy with no mention of being extensive be billable as 29823-extensive? Does the physician need to specify the debridment as extensive?

Here's the portion of the debridment documentation from the op report--

The patient did have a labral tear with a split biceps tendon.
At this point in time it was determined to perform a biceps tenotomy and a up biter wasused to perform the biceps tenotomy. The labrum was then debrided with a shaver.

In addition he documented and performed 29827 and 29826--so I'm only questioning whether the debridements above are enough to bill extensive.

Thanks
April

The doc would need to document some type of debridement on the biceps after the tenotomy to capture a debridement. If so you could capture 29823 as you would have debrided 2 soft tissues. Until then you can only bill 29822 for the labrum.