Wiki LAA occlusion using Atri Clip Gillinov

jlbridges

New
Best answers
There is a new Left atrial appendage occlusion technique out there for artial fibrillation. It's Atri Clip Gillinov, instead of a MAZE the physician places this clip.

A CABGx3 was done and this clip procedure.
The physician states in the op note that a MAZE could not be done, so he went with the Gillinov Clip? There is a add on code to caputure the MAZE procedure, 33259; So is there another code to use to capture clip procdure? Any recommendations would be appreciated?

Hi,

Since there is no code for LAA, we use the unlisted 33999. This is what I have on the LAA that I got from STS.

1) Left Atrial Appendage can be billed separately with CABG and other cardiac procedures except: MAZE and Mitral Valve Repair/Replacement. This is because the LAA ligation is considered to be a part of those procedures.
2) If the LAA is performed to remove thrombus, then code 33310/33315 should be reported appending the -59 and the -51 modifiers
3) If the LAA is was only thing done and not part of a MAZE or MVR then it should be reported using the unlisted code 33999

I should clarify. If the LAA is ALL that was done, then I use the 33999.

If the LAA is done in conjunction with anything other than MAZE or MVR, I would attach a 22. Unless for thrombus.

Sorry.