Wiki L4-L5 Facet joint injection (multiple)

beach59

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
One of our providers did a lumbar facet injection, bilateral, of one level, L4-L5. Our billing department used CPT 64493 for the first site and 64493-50 for the second site. Reading the report, it looks to me as though there were two injections to L4 (each side) and two injections to L5. I am trying to figure out if this is the correct way to code this procedure. Report reads:

The L4-L5 facet joints were localized under CT. Patient's skin marked posterior to the joints. Skin prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner.

Local anesthesia was obtained using subq infiltration of 1 ml of 1% lidocaine buffered with sodium bicarbonate.

Using intermittent CT fluoroscopic guidance, 22-gauge needles were placed into the L4-L5 facets joints.

20 mg of Depo-Medrol and 2 ml of 0.25% Marcaine was injected into each joint.

Is 64493, 64493-50 correct or should it be 64493-50 twice or should it be something entirely different? Help?! Has anyone seen this before? This was done in the hospital outpatient setting. Not sure if that makes a difference

Last edited:
Well the joints would be referenced by the two levels that are connected, in this example L4-L5. This constitutes one joint, and therefore one "level" of injection. Since it's bilateral it should be billed on one line with modifier -50, no additional lines. Unless of course you're dealing with a payor that wants LT/RT, which isn't outside the realm of possibility. In that case you would bill two lines, one with each side. Hope that helps!

Well the joints would be referenced by the two levels that are connected, in this example L4-L5. This constitutes one joint, and therefore one "level" of injection. Since it's bilateral it should be billed on one line with modifier -50, no additional lines. Unless of course you're dealing with a payor that wants LT/RT, which isn't outside the realm of possibility. In that case you would bill two lines, one with each side. Hope that helps!

I completely agree. There was a recent ACR article about how Medicare instructs us to use modifier 50. http://www.acr.org/Advocacy/Economi...-List/2013/Jan-Feb-2013/Bilateral-Surgery-MUE

Also, had multiple levels been injected there are add-on codes to report the additional levels.