Wiki KYPHOPLASTY assistant (special circumstances)

dees0131

New
Best answers
HI all,
I have a special circumstance and was wondering if anyone could help? My surgeon admitted a patient to the hospital for a routine Kyphoplasty only to find the surgical nurse they had on staff had never worked with surgeons performing Kyphoplasties and had no idea how to prep the tray or supplies. My physician called our PA in and he set up the trays and performed all the surgical nurse duties including cement prep, balloon prep, etc. There is no assistant surgeon allowed for Kyphoplasties but my MD and PA feel there should be a billable code for his participation in this surgery. Does anyone have any idea where I should look? Any help would be greatly appreciated! By the way, this is not a Medicare claim which might be helpful.
Thanks!

Donna H.

As far as I know; if an assist is not billable-it's not billable. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do. It is not a code where it is "sometimes" allowed with proper documentation/justification. Have you read the specific insurance policy on assist at surgery?
Our surgeons use PA's as assistants all the time for procedures where assist is not billable, it's kind of the same thing.

http://news.aapc.com/index.php/2008/01/assistant-at-surgery/