Wiki Knee Chondroplasty and Menisectomy

cwilson3333

Expert
Best answers
Patient had chondromalacia in all 3 compartments and partial meniscal tear.

Operative Note Procedure dictated as:

Chondroplasty in Patella Compartment
Chondroplasty in Medial Compartment
Chondroplasty in Lateral Compartment
Partial Medial Menisectomy

My question: Which is primary procedure, Chondroplasty or Menisectomy.
I know chondroplasty is included in the menisectomy code, but can the
chondroplasty be the Primary Procedure.

Waiting for reply,
CW

Which codes are you using? According to NCCI edits 29877 is a column two code for 29881 with a modifier indicator of zero (no modifier allowed). So your only code would be 29881.

Patient had chondromalacia in all 3 compartments and partial meniscal tear.

Operative Note Procedure dictated as:

Chondroplasty in Patella Compartment
Chondroplasty in Medial Compartment
Chondroplasty in Lateral Compartment
Partial Medial Menisectomy

My question: Which is primary procedure, Chondroplasty or Menisectomy.
I know chondroplasty is included in the menisectomy code, but can the
chondroplasty be the Primary Procedure.

Waiting for reply,
CW

Be careful as insurance carriers are looking for this. It will all come down to the 'intent' of the surgery. If an MRI shows a meniscal tear and a menisectomy is scheduled and during the course of the procedure a chondroplasty is performed and the chondroplasty is reported because the fee is higher you could get in trouble.

Chondroplasty and Menisectomy

The MRI diagnosed a meniscal tear and chondromalacia in all 3 compartments, so the intent was to treat the chondromalacia also, along with the menisectomy.

I have always submitted the menisectomy as the only procedure, as I do know chondroplasties are included in that code, but this operative note indicated that the chondromalacia was more detailed than the menisectomy.

In what instance then, would the chondroplasty be considered primary if the chondromalacia was confirmed prior to the arthroscopy procedure being performed.

Thank you,
CW

The MRI diagnosed a meniscal tear and chondromalacia in all 3 compartments, so the intent was to treat the chondromalacia also, along with the menisectomy.

I have always submitted the menisectomy as the only procedure, as I do know chondroplasties are included in that code, but this operative note indicated that the chondromalacia was more detailed than the menisectomy.

In what instance then, would the chondroplasty be considered primary if the chondromalacia was confirmed prior to the arthroscopy procedure being performed.

Thank you,
CW

I would check the consent formed signed by the patient and work with that.