Wiki knee chondroplasty and loose bodies

scooter1

Expert
Best answers
Need help, please. . . .

Dr did arthropscopic removal of cartilagenous loose bodies and a chondroplasty of the lateral femoral condyle for an osteochondral lesion.

He states there were multiple loose bodies in the suprapatellar pouch as well as the medial and lateral gutters. He then goes on to describe the chondroplasty of the osteochondral lesion, "there was additional loose bodies and bone fragments as well as an osteochondral lesion measuring 2.3 x 1.8 cm in the lateral femoral condyle. An extensive amount of time was spent debriding the osteochondral lesion & performing a chondroplasty. The lesion was debrided with curettes as well as an arthroscopic shaver taking it back to a stable rim. Not only was there loss of the overlying articular cartilage, but there was also bone loss as well with loose chondral bone. The scope was passed between the anterolateral & the anteromedial portals to complete the debridement and chondroplasty. The scope was removed " . Doctor is stating code for the loose body
29874. But shouldn't I code for the chondroplasty as well? I just can't think today !
Anyway, I was thinking possibly 29874 and G0289. Almost sounded like an abrasion
arthorplasty, but didn't state it was down to bleeding bone. Please, I need help

Hi,

Since your doc did the chondroplasty in both compartments, I would bill it as 29877 and G0289. The loose body removal, 29874, bundles into 29877, and per CCI edits, a modifier is not allowed.