Wiki Knee Arthroscopy Question

amartinez1

Best answers
Please Help!
I am coding for a patient that had a synovectomy done in all three compartments, menisectomy in medial and lateral compartment, and chondroplasty in the patella and medial femoral condyle. I know the synovectomy and the chondroplasty can not be coded with the menisectomy, but my question is since the synovectomy and chondroplasty were done in the patella can both be coded together or are they bundled together? My doctor also did a lateral release of the patellofemoral joint. Can this also be coded along with all other procedures?

I coded it as 29880, 29877-59, 29876-59, 29873-59

Please Help!
I am coding for a patient that had a synovectomy done in all three compartments, menisectomy in medial and lateral compartment, and chondroplasty in the patella and medial femoral condyle. I know the synovectomy and the chondroplasty can not be coded with the menisectomy, but my question is since the synovectomy and chondroplasty were done in the patella can both be coded together or are they bundled together? My doctor also did a lateral release of the patellofemoral joint. Can this also be coded along with all other procedures?

I coded it as 29880, 29877-59, 29876-59, 29873-59

I would code this as 29880 medial, lateral, 29877 patella, 29873 patella. i would not code 29876 for patella because i would say that is bundled and also 29876 is for 2 or more compartments.

Thank you for the reply.
I have another question regarding knee coding. If medial and lateral menisectomy is done and Synovectomy in all three compartments. Is coding the 29880 and 29876-59 the correct way to bill or 29880 and 29875-59. NCCI edits says that these two codes are bundled but can be unbundled using a modifier. I have read articles stating that the synovectomy can not be billed with the menisectomy in same compartment unless done in patella and if it is done in patella then the synovectomy should be down coded to 29875. Any suggestions Please?

Thank you for the reply.
I have another question regarding knee coding. If medial and lateral menisectomy is done and Synovectomy in all three compartments. Is coding the 29880 and 29876-59 the correct way to bill or 29880 and 29875-59. NCCI edits says that these two codes are bundled but can be unbundled using a modifier. I have read articles stating that the synovectomy can not be billed with the menisectomy in same compartment unless done in patella and if it is done in patella then the synovectomy should be down coded to 29875. Any suggestions Please?

I would code as 29880, 29875-59 because if synovectomy is done in the medial and lateral then you can only bill for 29880 because yes 29876 is bundled but since synovectomy was also done in the patella then you can bill 29875 for the patella.

hope that helps.