Wiki Keratosis Removal Codes

sjhazen75

Best answers
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2005/1000/p47.html

Please copy and paste the link into your browser. Can anyone please tell me if the following article/encounter form is accurate? I am having trouble deciphering between what my physician is doing (I'm at a medical billing company, so I don't have access to medical records at my hands). He is coding 17110 for seb. keratosis, but according to the article above, he should be using 17000/17003.

Thanks so much!
Sara

Keratosis Removal

Thank you for responding. Right now we receive the encounter form electronically with the codes circled by the physician.

However, he will write "7 on back, 1 on arm," etc, which makes me think these should be 17000 x 1 and 17003 x 7, but if they are seborrheic, aka, benign lesions, then 17110 would be correct and the article would be incorrect.

17000 CPT description says "premalignant" lesions. 17110 says benign lesions. Help?

The date of the article states 2005, I believe the changes to the CPTs happened after (premalignant verbiage) It is entirely possible at the time of publication the article was correct, but it is no longer so.

Keratosis Removal

Thank you so much. I referenced the CPT Assitant 2009, page 7 and it includes clarification on these codes.

S.Hazen