Wiki kegal instruction

tmerickson

Best answers
I have a NP that does kegal instruction for pt's w/ incontinence. Currently we are using 99211, however through further research, I believe that 90901 is more specific. Thoughts? Any other ideas?

I'm not understanding wanting to use 90901.That's biofeedback.

Have you looked at the range of codes below. There are specific guidelines but can be an option to coding 99211

98960 — Education and training for patient self-management by a qualified, nonphysician healthcare professional using a standardized curriculum, face-to-face with the patient (could include caregiver/family) each 30 minutes; individual patient
98961 — … 2-4 patients
98962 — … 5-8 patients.

The reason I was thinking biofeedback is because the materials are biofeedback materials. Also, my NP said it could be considered biofeedback.

The 2 things you might double-check. Giving Bio-feedback materials to the patient is irrelevent to what you can code for

1) is the NP credentialed and trained to provide biofeedback services

2) the BF I am most familair with is hooking the patient to a machine to monitor system responses (HR, stress etc) as they work thru the training session. Hence the term "Bio"

Bio feedback is specific monitoring and training of patient responses and not just nurse education.You will have to verify what is actually being done and documented

The range of codes I suggested do not apply to only "serious" conditions. The only requirement is a physician order and an established condition. I am assuming your DX for these patients is something like urinary incontinence. Here is a paste

Unlike counseling and/or risk-factor reduction intervention codes (99401-99412), the patient self-management education and training codes require the individual to have an established condition. The educational and training services teach the patient "how to effectively self-manage the patient's illness(s)/disease(s) or delay disease comorbidity(s) in conjunction with the patient's professional healthcare team".

Last edited: