Wiki Keeping previous year(s) code books

We keep three years as that is how long the RAC can look back at records. Although with no updates to ICD-9 since 2012, that is a few less to keep!

We keep three years as that is how long the RAC can look back at records. Although with no updates to ICD-9 since 2012, that is a few less to keep!

We have had physician clients who's most recent CPT book in the office has been three years old, and they expect their office coders to use them. They see no need to spend $$ on new books every year. Go figure.

ICD 9 codeing books

If they are ICD-9 books there was no need to buy new books since 2012

Although no new ICD 9 codes have been added I recently found out that the 2015 ICD 9 CM manual has crosswalks for ICD 10, this may come in handy for some my company has already done a crosswalk for all of our clients.

As for the original question Three years is long enough.

Although no new ICD 9 codes have been added I recently found out that the 2015 ICD 9 CM manual has crosswalks for ICD 10, this may come in handy for some my company has already done a crosswalk for all of our clients.

As for the original question Three years is long enough.

- So there is no rule/law to reference to how long they should be kept? I really appreciate all y'alls help.

Thanks,
Amanda