Wiki Job seeker

Carann

New
Best answers
Hello.
I want to know how one can get experience in medical coding itself.
I have volunteered and did some contract work in the health care field,BUT nothing dealing with coding.
The majority of ad's look for experienced coders,but I really am trying to seek out other positions. I look at other positions in facilities,but they want someone who has experience. Should I try to send of a cover letter and resume anyway with the experience that I do have and hope for the best?
:confused:

Feel your pain

I took the AAPC course and got certified but I have yet to get a job. That was almost 2 yrs ago! Everyone told me that you need to start out as a receptionist and work your way up. I did not realize that or I would not have wasted my time.

I got a couple referrals but the office managers were not interested because my past experience in a different field was at a much higher level. It is hard because I just wanted to find a profession that might be stable and have jobs but this has not been the case with coding. My advice is network with people. I honestly wish I had never wasted any money on this course or certification.

I am also sure someone will have a good experience of getting a job quickly to share with you as well. However, I find the experiences of trying to find a job are more on the negative side.

Have a POSITIVE outlook...

Hello, many coding positions are remote. Keep trying especially if you are ICD-10 certified.

Hello, many coding positions are remote. Keep trying especially if you are ICD-10 certified.

Technically there is no such thing as ICD-10 certified. Its not a certification exam its a proficiency exam. Pretty soon everyone with a CPC will be considered ICD-10 proficient so it won't help anymore to put you above any other CPC in the marketplace. After 2/29/16, everyone will be considered ICD-10 proficient or they wont have a CPC credential anymore.

If you currently have a job and don't have a lot of debt, id suggest applying for a credit card with 0 interest financing offer and take advantage of the Discount AAPC is offering this month and study for another credential. I've already signed up for COC and as soon as I make a few payments towards it and get my CPC, I plan on enrolling in a CPB training program (billing jobs are much easier to find and many pay more than coding I hear). AMEX has a cash rewards card with no annual fee and I believe the offer out there now is $100 statement credit when you charge $1,000 in 3 months and you get 14 months no interest.

You may also want to try applying with Inovalon. They are hiring CPC-A for paid externship and others with limited to no experience. Its not the best company to work for long term from what I've heard but it may be a good starting point to beef up the resume.

Last edited: