Wiki job description and cpc license

kathy073

Best answers
good morning!

I find myself in an awkward situation. i have worked for a multi specialty practice for many years. about 5 years ago i was offered the opportunity to become a professional coder. i love the company i worked for and saw it as a great opportunity. i had no idea about coding,etc or what type of classes to take. i responded to a fax we received offering coding classes in the area. it was a 16 week, 1x weekly course. since i had been doing some billing already the classes and the subsequent test did not present a problem and i passed easily. at that time, there was not another certified coder in our organization to be a mentor to me. i have since learned the many mistakes i've made, namely coding from fee tickets as opposed to coding from documentation. i'm now doing my best to learn, checking documentation, trying to verify everything, but am worried it may be too little, too late.

any advice?

You could check with your local community or professional college. You should be able to find a great course on coding there. Also, you could look at some of the courses offered AAPC website. You could start there?

good luck!

First of all you should join your local Coding group and go to the meetings. they have some great people who gome in to the class and speak. Also there you can get some good advice from coders in your area on where to go and what the best school or class to take.

Good Luck!

Hi,
I am in the same situation .....I went to school for billing and coding for 2years .....I trying to get ready for cpc .....AAPC website is great I am on it all the time ...I also got membership on justcoding.com where you can find guidelines for billing and coding

good luck