Wiki IV Push w/ sodium chloride

csauerer

Best answers
Hello,

I just have a few questions regarding IV fluids, I have noticed that the facility I work at the LRS is getting put on the claim and not Sodium Chloride.

Can we charge/ do not charge for fluids? Is it included with the IV push/administration?

If we cannot charge for the sodium chloride, should it still be added to claim with a no charge?

Sorry just trying to wrap my head around how to go about charging the account when the PT gets fluids at an RHC clinic, any help would be great.

Yes, you can charge for the fluids in all cases - drugs and fluids are not included in the reimbursement for the infusion services. Sodium chloride is generally very inexpensive, so it's possible your facility has chosen not to charge for it due to the low cost. (Maybe they think it's more costly in administrative expenses to charge and bill for it than that the payers will reimburse?)

As far as the administration, if it's being used for hydration, then you wouldn't be able to bill for a push because hydration must be run for a minimum of 31 minutes to qualify for a code. Also, if it's just being used to clear the line and not for therapeutic purposes, it can't be charged. However, sodium chloride is also used for therapeutic purposes (e.g. to treat hyponatremia), and if that's the case, then you may code the IV push as a therapeutic infusion.