Wiki IV Push: Missing Stop Time (ER Facility Coding)

Medical_Coder

Networker
Best answers
Greetings my Fellow Coders!

I'm in need of accurate assistance regarding facility ER coding for an IV Push. If the documentation is missing the "stop time" for an IV push, is it "ok" to still code this procedure?

In addition, does anyone know of a website that I can refer to regarding policies on this matter. Does anyone also know of a website that provides information on drugs that are commonly used for an IV Push and drugs that are commonly used for an IV Infusion? Any assistance is truly appreciated! :)

Greetings my Fellow Coders!

I'm in need of accurate assistance regarding facility ER coding for an IV Push. If the documentation is missing the "stop time" for an IV push, is it "ok" to still code this procedure?

In addition, does anyone know of a website that I can refer to regarding policies on this matter. Does anyone also know of a website that provides information on drugs that are commonly used for an IV Push and drugs that are commonly used for an IV Infusion? Any assistance is truly appreciated! :)

An IV push does not require a stop time. If an infusion is missing a stop time, then it is coded to push or if it is 15 minutes or less it is coded as a push. I do not know of a website that is common for push drugs or infusion drugs. I can tell you that most infusions I come across in the ER are antibiotics and drugs like Cardizem. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thank you so much eadun2000 for this much appreciated information that you've provided. This truly does help me out with understanding the process for coding infusions. I feel as if I have a better understanding of the concept now. I'm extremely appreciative of your help in this matter! :)