Wiki IV Protocol CPT code 36410

wess0808

Best answers
Hi,
I have a question.....Please help :)
We currently have a protocol at our hospital for IV sticks. After 3 sticks by a nurse, they call the physician, if the physician cannot get the stick, they call in a CRNA . The CRNA will always get the stick and they bill 36410. After reading the CPT code description, it states the procedure requires the physicians expertise in placing the IV. Our CRNA's are much more skilled in placing lines since they do it every day for our OR patient's,etc. Should we be billing CPT code 36410 if performed by a CRNA? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jean

I have a slightly different view, and the ultimate answer may be different for your various carriers. If your CRNA's are independently credentialled as providers, then I think you could bill under their NPI for the service. More likely though, is that they are supervised by a physician, and I think you could bill the service under the supervising physicians NPI. Either way, I would recommend that you contact each payer and ask for guidance, as this is a very common occurrence in the inpatient setting. For the physician who attempted and failed, you could likely bill for the service with a -52 modifier, but I would also recommend you obtain and follow your carrier specific guidelines for the reduced services modifier.

Hi,
I have a question.....Please help :)
We currently have a protocol at our hospital for IV sticks. After 3 sticks by a nurse, they call the physician, if the physician cannot get the stick, they call in a CRNA . The CRNA will always get the stick and they bill 36410. After reading the CPT code description, it states the procedure requires the physicians expertise in placing the IV. Our CRNA's are much more skilled in placing lines since they do it every day for our OR patient's,etc. Should we be billing CPT code 36410 if performed by a CRNA? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jean
who is the crna employed by?

I have a slightly different view, and the ultimate answer may be different for your various carriers. If your CRNA's are independently credentialled as providers, then I think you could bill under their NPI for the service. More likely though, is that they are supervised by a physician, and I think you could bill the service under the supervising physicians NPI. Either way, I would recommend that you contact each payer and ask for guidance, as this is a very common occurrence in the inpatient setting. For the physician who attempted and failed, you could likely bill for the service with a -52 modifier, but I would also recommend you obtain and follow your carrier specific guidelines for the reduced services modifier.

I don't think so when the code specifically states necessitate physician skill. I do not think you can have a non physician use this code but they can use the 36415.

You will see that for virtually every other service in the CPT book it does not specify "necessitating physicians skill". I think the reason this phraseology is used here is to make it clear that this code is NOT to be used for routine phlebotomy by non providers (ie nurses, aides, and phlebotomists). In the example, the physician has failed and so he is calling on an even more expertly skilled provider, whom I think could be compensated. Again, this is a common occurence and should be easily clarified by the payer.

You will see that for virtually every other service in the CPT book it does not specify "necessitating physicians skill". I think the reason this phraseology is used here is to make it clear that this code is NOT to be used for routine phlebotomy by non providers (ie nurses, aides, and phlebotomists). In the example, the physician has failed and so he is calling on an even more expertly skilled provider, whom I think could be compensated. Again, this is a common occurence and should be easily clarified by the payer.

exactly and since this one does specify this I would not feel comfortable using it for a non physician even though he had tried and failed. Just my opinion