Wiki Is there an ICD 9 code for....

msdrea32208

Best answers
Dr. came in to a surgery procedure to insert a stent for another physician to perform the patients surgery. Can you direct me towards a diagnosis code to use in this instance?

I'm guessing it would be for the same reason as the surgery, but I can't really give you a definitive answer without knowing what kind of surgery and what kind of stent. There's no ICD-9 code specifically for showing up to assist, so you'd code based on the reason for the stent placement relative to the surgery.

I was taught that if coding a stent insertion to facilitate the procedure and prevent/avoid uretheral injury, to use the Dx for the surgery itself and procedure code 52332 for the placement. My question is, what modifier should I use? Bouncing between -62 or -59. Any thoughts on this? Pam

If the Dr. Doing the stent had documentation provided for his part of the procedure then 62 is appropriate for both his procedure and the other surgeons procedure.

62 is used when both surgeons are performing different parts of the same procedure. If there is a procedure code for just the part your surgeon performed then you code the stent insertion with no modifier. Your surgeons claim and he other surgeons claim are independent when performed same day.