Wiki Is it better to take the CPC exam now or later?

eptept

Best answers
Hello. I am a medical office administration student and new AAPC member. Though I will not graduate until May of 2014, I have completed my procedure and diagnostic coding courses. In no way do I feel prepared for a certification exam.

Like many of my classmates, I am trying to determine the best time to attempt the exam. There are a long list of factors to consider, including: preparedness, the value of the certification in relation to the new ICD-10 release, prep courses offered, cost, etc. Because this is a new field for me, I do not know what I do not know. What I mean is, I do not know what other elements are important to take into account.

Since I have an informal report assignment for my Professional Research and Reporting class, I decided to use this dilemma as the subject. My fellow future coders are all waiting to read the results, so the pressure to do a thorough job is on!

Would you please share your related concerns or ideas on the best timing?

I only have a week to complete the research and it looks like I am going to lose research days because Sandy is sure to knock out power soon. It is so windy now that the wind is setting off car alarms up and down the street! I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer!

Honestly,
I would wait. I cannot tell you how prepared you are but if you are still so far from graduating there is still so much to learn. I took my exam immediately after graduating. I passed....barely. If i had waited i feel like i would have been better prepared to enter the work force. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to find a job coding immediately after passing exam. But i know many coders, who i graduated with, who are certified and have been looking for over a year even for an entry level position not even necessarily with coding. To do it over again I would have waited till i truly understood all that went into coding and understanding all of the guideline so that i could have better presented myself to future employers.... Only you know if you're ready. Good luck I'm very happy with where the coding profession has led me and hope the same for you.