Wiki Is 2015 cpt manual obsolete??

clevla

New
Best answers
PLEASE ADVISE!
I passed the exam and ICD-10 updates in 2015, however remained at my (current) medical billing job.
I remain with an "Apprentice Status" to date... never found coding work and sadly, lost hope of working as a coder...however,
A job opportunity has come up!!!
I must test and was advised to, "be strong on using modifier 24, 25 & 57; Inpatient, OBS, admits, D.C. and Critical Care. ICD10, Concurrent Care".
I only have 2015 CPT Manual and ICD-10 Complete Draft Code Set in my possession. I've dusted them off and am eager to "refresh" my memory.
I don't know who to ask...Can I still use these books?
I feel lost and don't know where to begin!
All input is welcome! Thanking you in advance!

To be honest, i really cant sugar coat this. This does not sound like the position for CPC-A with no experience. This reads as a job description for someone with years of current experience. Your books are so far out of date. CPT and ICD are updated yearly. 2015 ICD-10 is actually like 2012-2013 ICD-10 due to the code freeze was lifted in 2016, there have been major changes.

Last edited:
2015 coding books

Absolutely do not use 2015 coding books. This is an opportunity you need to grab because they don't come along very often.

See if you can borrow 2017 books because without them you will be at a serious disadvantage...... yearly code changes are not about changes in one or two codes, they are extensive.

Good luck in your test.

Thanks very much!

These two responses were spot on as I've been torn.
This position was brought to my attention by a highly esteemed director/friend within the company. She has put in a good word for me with the coding director...TOO GOOD.
My initial response to her was, "NO! I can't do it!", however, close friends urged me to at least "TRY".
When I approached my director/friend to see if the offer to test was still open for me she said,
"Yes, I was leaving the door open for you".
I'm going to buy new books and take the test.
Thanks for your advice!

2015 coding books.

Good decision. What I would say is that 2018 ICD-10 books come into play for DOS from today, 10/1. Not suggesting you need to buy 2018, but you should get a good deal on 2017 books, maybe through AAPC.

Someone on this forum about a week ago was selling all their 2017 books because they couldn't get to grips with coding and were giving up....however I think they wanted $175 which is clearly way too much.

Either reach out to that person or contact AAPC. Either way you need books soon. If you want me to find out who was advertising them for sale I can do that for you.....just let me know.
If and when you take the test, let us know how you did.

@Twizzle

Shopping for 2017 version is exactly what I'm doing right now! ;)
I don't know when I'll test, but I imagine it will be soon. I hope to get my hands on a book within the next couple of days, so
no need to seek out the AAPC member.

I'll be sure to report back on my experience. Thanks very much for your support! :D