Wiki Intrauterine Fetal Demise @ 30 wks - Consult billed under mom?

aocardenas281

Contributor
Best answers
Hello everyone,

I would like to request help regarding the coding and billing of an intrauterine fetal demise at 30 weeks gestation. Ceserean section performed to remove dead fetus. The question is...should we bill under mom or under fetus/BG for the consultation?
Does anyone have guidelines regarding this specific issue?

Please be advise fetus was not registered and Genetics MD performed consultation by examining fetus and counseling with parents.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

ac :)

c sx for fetal demise

Did your dr do the C/Sx? Why was the dr called for consultation? If your dr was called in to deliver the baby, bill for the delivery since she was over 22wks. If your dr was called to confirm fetal demise, then bill the consultation code for fetal demise. Dx would be 656.4X and V27.1 for delivery. You would not use V27.1 if you're billing for consultation. Just the 656.xx code. Check out that series to see which applies for you. The delivery would be 59510 -59515, which ever applies to your situation.
Hope that helps.
Kathy Atkinson, CPC
OB/GYN

30wk fetal demise

I forgot to tell you, you may have more than just the dx code I gave you for your billing. So, what ever her history shows would apply as well.
Kathy