Wiki Intra-operative venograms at the time of an open procedure

icoutin

Contributor
Best answers
I need help! This is a recurring question in our hospital and I am trying to put it to rest. Here is an example"

With the patient in supine position, a previous catheter had been placed in the hand so Omnipaque was flushed down the catheter into the vein and a venogram was obtained, which showed a small but adequate cephalic vein draining at the wrist, draining via the medial circulation, the basilic system was opened and i did not see any cephalic above the elbow and the central system showed no evidence of narrowing, although there was a tight vein around the catheter, which had been placed on the right side. it was elected to do a radiocephalic fistula.....

Question is, can this venogram, or any such venogram prior to an open procedure such as A/V fistula be coded separately? We toy with whether it is a diagnostic/ roadmapping venogram, or not; they are usually trying to asses the caliber of the vessel for the fistula creation. However perhaps this is irrelevant on whether it can be coded or not.

Any takers? Getting a definite answer to this would be of great help!

Thanks,

Isela Coutin
Miami

yes it can be coded. prior to av fistula placement extrenity venograms would be performed to rule out any abnormalities like thrombosis or stenosis and to choose patent vein.
codes are