Wiki interpretation requested for short infusion note

ollielooya

True Blue
Best answers
Need help understanding this process:
IV access was established. Ativan 2 mg was given intravenously by slow IV push. He had an injection of Vistaril 50 mg IM to help with nausea. Additionally he had Toradol 30 mg diluted in 100 cc and infused intravenously starting at 11 AM and ending at 11:20 AM. He had Botox injections and still complained of headaches. Then Nubain 30 mg was diluted in the 100 cc and infused over 30 minutes. Infusion started at 12:40 AM and ended at 1:10 PM. Patient was monitored for two hours.

This is an in-office procedure performed by the neurologist. I'm only questioning the actual infusion process, and not the botox injections and extracted the above paragraph for help.

Two coding choices 1)
96365, 96374, 96372. I do not agree with this.
2) Since it is in-office we do not need to follow the hierarchal hx coding and am coding presenting for the same diagnosis. 96374 (initial), 96367 (subsequent w Toradol), and additional 96367 (Nubain) , 96372 (Vistaril) with appropriate modifiers.

I am an expert at asking questions but clueless re clinical aspects of the infusion process and this note just confuses me. Does the Nubain infusion AFTER the botox injections suggest the start of another "initial process?" May have follow-up questions.

Suzanne E. Byrum CPC

I would code this scenario as your #2 choice. I also disagree with #1 because you cannot code two "initial" services for this one unless the injections/infusion were given through different IV sites.

The giving of the Botox injections have no bearing on how you should code the Nubain.

I hope this helps!!

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking this post might not be answered and I'd have to resubmit. IT's a good way to start out a fresh Monday morning when someone points you in the right direction! ---Suzanne E. Byrum CPC