Wiki Intercostal Nerve Blcok

lump2009

Best answers
If the doctor did the T5-6 intercostal nerve block would I bill 64421 once or would i bill 64421 twice

"The physician anesthetizes the intercostal nerve to block chest wall pain. In 64420, a single injection is performed. In 64421, multiple nerves are injected to provide pain relief to a larger area (regional block)."

From Encoder, this description I feel helps clarfiy that 64421 is only billed once for mulitple nerves.

In a T5-T6 intercostal nerve block, the physician is blocking only a single intercostal nerve, T5, that is in the T5 & T6 interspace aka between the fifth and sixth thoraic ribs. So if the documentation is a dash, then it would be a single injection or 64420.

If the physician performed T5 and a T6 intercostal nerve blocks, he would be blocking not only the T5 intercostal nerve located as above between the T5 & T6 interspace but also a second injection to block the T6 intercostal nerve in the T6 & T7 interspace aka between the sixth & seventh thoracic ribs. Since more than 1 intercostal nerve injection was performed, this would be a multiple block or 64421.

The key is - Is the physician describing the needle placement location: T5-T6 or the specific intercostal nerves blocked: T5, T6. Something as simple as a dash or comma can change the coding - that is why it is important that we can't code from a procedure title but also need to verify the procedures in the procedure documentation detail section and/or confirm with the physician.