Wiki Insurance denied 706.8

bbooks

Best answers
We have a number of cases that have denied for the diagnosis code of 706.8, sebaceous hyperplasia. I all of these cases, the provider indicated that they weren't sure what the lesion was and wanted to rule out something more dangerous like BCC or SCC. What would you all use as a secondary code for this situation?

I am going to also post this question in the dermatology section.

Thanks much for the suggestion. I have seen both of those codes, 706.8 and 706.9 applied for "sebaceous hyperplasia." Neither of these codes is on Medicare's list of "Codes that Support Medical Necessity" for removal of benign skin lesions, so I doubt whether using 706.9 will work any better than 706.8.

I did post on the dermatology forum and got the advice to add V71.1: Observation for suspected malignant neoplasm.

I have a call in to one of our dermatologist clients and will report what I hear from them.

I found a solution! I consulted with our dematopathologists who indicate that when they use the term "sebaceous hyperplasia" as a pathological diagnosis, it can be considered a benign neoplasm of the skin, 216.x.