Wiki Inpatient physician charges

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Patient seen by 1 physician after day of admission, seen later in the same day by a different provider can both get billed with the appropriate subsequent codes? Global days are not a factor?

Thanks in advance

Patient seen by 1 physician after day of admission, seen later in the same day by a different provider can both get billed with the appropriate subsequent codes? Global days are not a factor?

Thanks in advance

Are the 2 providers part of the same group/specialty?
Was there a procedure or surgery performed?

From what I can tell yes, they are the same group.
Example hospitalists does rounds @ 8 am and patient seen by the next Doctor doing rounds same day in the evening? No changes in patient status and no procedures.
Think I just answered my own question!

From what I can tell yes, they are the same group.
Example hospitalists does rounds @ 8 am and patient seen by the next Doctor doing rounds same day in the evening? No changes in patient status and no procedures.
Think I just answered my own question!

If they're both hospitalists from the same group, you can combine their documentation to create one charge for the day. Very rare circumstances allow you to be able to bill for 2 visits from the same group/specialty. As far as which one gets the credit, that would have to be an internal decision, maybe set up a workflow for your office in a way that makes it fair, if this happens often...for example, whichever one has more documentation? Or which one would have a higher level if figured separately? Just a couple ideas.

HTH!