Wiki Inpatient peds newborn issue

HBULLOCK

Best answers
We have a newborn that was seen by our md's. The second day when our md went in to see the baby she spent 1 hour with the parents re: Feeding issues and other as parents were very anxious (1st baby). Is there another code we can use to get pmt for her addtl services to this family???? Thanks

We have a newborn that was seen by our md's. The second day when our md went in to see the baby she spent 1 hour with the parents re: Feeding issues and other as parents were very anxious (1st baby). Is there another code we can use to get pmt for her addtl services to this family???? Thanks

Since it sounds like the baby is a normal newborn, you physician should report the subsequent NB code 99462. Unfortunately that's a per day code and has no typical bed/unit floor time associated with it, so your physician really can't use counseling and coordination of care time.

There's no real method of capturing parental angst for a IP normal newborn nursery visit.

Hey Jettman thanks for the input. My supervisor wanted to charge the 99462 and 99232 and I didn't think that was correct so I thought I'd see what other coders think. Thanks for your thoughts.

You're welcome, Helen. If the baby was seen for a "normal" newborn subs visit by your doctor (99462), then later that same day became ill and required a return visit by your doctor, she could also report the second visit as 99231 -99233 with modifier 25.

But reporting an additional 99231 - 99233 because of parental anxiety treads on shakey ground, I think.

Best,
Jettman