Wiki Inpatient consult/follow-up office visit

hagand

Contributor
Best answers
Could someone please tell me the correct way to code an inpatient consult with follow-up in the office. Before the consult the patient was not seen by this physician. Would it still be the 99211-99215 codes because the physician saw pt?:eek:

Yes, this is now an established patient. Face to face service was provided which is the definition of an established patient per CPT.

Laura, CPC

Ditto......

In the office or other outpatient setting, following the initial consultation service, the Office or Other Outpatient Established Patient codes (99212 – 99215) shall be reported for additional follow-up visits. The CPT code 99211 shall not be reported as a consultation service. The CPT code 99211 is not included by Medicare for a consultation service since this service typically does not require the presence of a physician or qualified NPP and would not meet the consultation service criteria.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

could someone please tell me the correct way to code an inpatient consult with follow-up in the office. Before the consult the patient was not seen by this physician. Would it still be the 99211-99215 codes because the physician saw pt?:eek:

yes with modifier 11 (location other than hospital)
love to code- cs

Ditto......

In the office or other outpatient setting, following the initial consultation service, the Office or Other Outpatient Established Patient codes (99212 – 99215) shall be reported for additional follow-up visits. The CPT code 99211 shall not be reported as a consultation service. The CPT code 99211 is not included by Medicare for a consultation service since this service typically does not require the presence of a physician or qualified NPP and would not meet the consultation service criteria.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

Just as a side note...

My post is from 2009. Consultations are no longer applicable to Medicare.