Wiki Inpatient Behavioral Health coding

Best answers
I am new to BH coding. If a psychiatrist see an inpatient as a consult should they bill an inpatient code (99221-99233), an outpatient code (99202-99213), or should they bill 90792? This provider is part of a hospitalist group but is a Behavioral Health provider. Billing under the same Tax ID and NPI as the hospitalists but different taxonomy code.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to BH coding. If a psychiatrist see an inpatient as a consult should they bill an inpatient code (99221-99233), an outpatient code (99202-99213), or should they bill 90792? This provider is part of a hospitalist group but is a Behavioral Health provider. Billing under the same Tax ID and NPI as the hospitalists but different taxonomy code.
Hello 90791 and 90792 are typically for the new evals, the initial. Going forward they would use the inpatient code for inpatient locations and outpatient codes in outpatient setting. 90791 and 90792 have limits, 90792 can only be used 1 time per year which is why the inpatient/outpatient E/M's would cover. Our Psych NPs use office visit E/M's (new/established) but the initial eval only once per year.

Practivity
Hey why not use a inpatient consult code per amount of minutes CPT 99252- 99255 for the psychiatrist? Ensure the referring doc name on documentation,list amount of minutes and dx assigned from psych doctor. From your message above the patient was inpatient due to chronic medical or EMR illness NOT behavioral health.
I hope helped you
Lady T

Hello 90791 and 90792 are typically for the new evals, the initial. Going forward they would use the inpatient code for inpatient locations and outpatient codes in outpatient setting. 90791 and 90792 have limits, 90792 can only be used 1 time per year which is why the inpatient/outpatient E/M's would cover. Our Psych NPs use office visit E/M's (new/established) but the initial eval only once per year.
Thank you for the information. If 90792 can only be used 1 time per year how would we know if that has already been used being hospitalists and not the patients primary care provider? Can the psychiatrist and hospitalist bill for an initial Inpatient code on the same day since they are different specialties? Also, if the psychiatrist does a consult in the ER would you use the ER CPT codes or an outpatient E/M code?

Practivity
Hey why not use a inpatient consult code per amount of minutes CPT 99252- 99255 for the psychiatrist? Ensure the referring doc name on documentation,list amount of minutes and dx assigned from psych doctor. From your message above the patient was inpatient due to chronic medical or EMR illness NOT behavioral health.
I hope helped you
Lady T
Hello, Our MAC does not recognize consult codes.