Wiki injection vs transfusion

Ginny901

Best answers
Hi My name is Ginny, When a person has a paracentensis and they develope a lack of Albumin in their blood system (albumin is a blood serum, a blood componet) and the Doctor replenishes the Albumin by injection (sometimes up to 60 min or more) . What is the correct CPT code. 36430--Transfusion, blood or blood componets or 96365 -- Intravenous infusion, for therapy, prophylaxis, or diagnosis (specify substance or durg); initial up to 1 hour . We have the 3M system and it brings me to the code 36430, which I agree is the correct code, but I'm told to use 96365. Does 96365 include blood and blood componets? thank you .

injection vs transfusion of Albumin

Hi. The definition of Serum Albumin is , The most abundant protein in human blood. It is produced by the liver and balances the water content of blood. A protein that is important in maintaing blood volume. Albumin is a blood componet.

Albumin is administered as a therapeutic infusion, not as a transfusion. The policies and procedures of infusion and transfusion differ so for billing purposes I can understand reporting 96365 as suggested by qhr.

Per Coding Clinic for HCPCS, 1Q 2010, page 7: albumin is a blood derivative (not a blood product such as platelets, plasma, etc) and should be reported with 96365.