Wiki Inital for Physical Therapy

tlewis76

Contributor
Best answers
Please help.. I have a therapist that would like to charge two initial evaulations for two different diagnosis. The patient came in today for initial therapy for knee pain since they didn't have time today to tackle the other diagnosis would she be able to charge her again for another initial evaulation and the other diagnosis. I am thinking not could someone please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for any help

If the patient came in for two different body parts and does the time and work on both and has documentation for both then yes two evals can be done especially if by two different ordering physicians. You need assessment and planned treatment for each part of the body.

I am not sure that I agree. While the PT may be assessing two different problems in two different body areas, this is still one assessment and should be billed as one PT inital assessment if performed in the same encounter. The only time you could split this into two different assessments is if you were dealing with two different payers (i.e., one problem was a commercial and the other problem was worker's comp).

Others may have a different opinion.