Wiki Inguinal Sentinel Node Biopsy

jlb0807

Networker
Best answers
Hello All!

Does anybody know if there is a code for an inguinal sentinel node biopsy? If not, is 38510 appropriate?

Thanks,
Jessica

Reply to Sentinel Node Question

Jessica,
To answer your quesion, yes there are two. You failed to post in your question if the entire lymph node was removed or if the node was biopsied. I will give you both codes:

For biopsy of inguinal sentinel node, the code would be 38999. There is not a specific CPT code for inguinal sentinel node.

Amy,

My bad! Yes, the entire thing was removed. Lymph nodes always confuse me for some reason. Thanks for your help!

Without knowing the depth from which the SLN were taken from, how are you coming up with unlisted CPT 38999? SLN can be located both superficially and deep. This would depend on what is documented in the operative report. 38500 if superficial, 38999 if deep

Last edited:
The op note says:

The incision was carried down toward the subcutaneous tissues and cautery bovied. The anterior fascia was opened and it was obvious that there was a large blue node easily identified with the lymphatic channels leading to it. The en vivo counts were in between 257 and 563 range. This was dissected using Bovie cautery. Medium hemoclips were placed for hemostatis, being aware of the surrounding neurovascular structures. This node was completely dissected and ex vivo count was about 454 with a residual bed count of 2 to 3 confirming removal of sentinel lymph node.

I'm thinking deep since it's down to the fascia, so 38999?

Not necessarily. In order to get to either "superficial" or "deep" lymph nodes, fascia has to be incised to reach them. For example, "superficial" lymph nodes are located below Camper's fascia (these are where the majority of inguinal LNs are located). "Deep" lymph nodes are located below cribriform fascia.

I am attaching a link for you to review in regarding to the anatomy of this region and relationship of the lymph nodes

http://ic.steadyhealth.com/inguinal_lymph_nodes.html

Based on the documentation that is provided, I would code this as 38500. I do not see the documentation to substantiate coding this as a "deep" excisional bx.

Also, speak to your physician about being specific on the type of fascia as this will affect on how these procedures are coded :)

Judy A. Haroon, RN, BSN, CPC, CGSC, AHIMA ICD-10 Approved Trainer