Wiki Infection of external fixation pin device

cwampole

New
Best answers
I'm not sure what is the right ICD-10 dx code for infection of external fixation pin device (no mention of body site.) Can I use the internal fixation device complication code T84.60 or T84.7...?

I'll appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Infected External Fixator Pin

T84.6 is pretty specific to Orthopedic Internal Fixation Devices, i.e., buried in the tissues, under the skin. I would consider an External Fixator to be an "Other" Orthopedic Fixation "Device" (although not "Internal" as the descriptor describes), and since "Other" usually means "none of the above," I would go with T84.7XX _, plus the code for the infecting organism.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.

I agree with Dr. Pechacek. You cannot code a documented external fixation as internal, so with no other choice available use other.

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Pechacek,

Thank you very much for explaining this to me. I was not sure which code to use because under T84.7XX_ it also describe "Infection and Inflammatory reaction due to other internal orthopedic prosthetic devices, implants and grafts." Both codes (T84.60X_ and T84.7XX_) mention internal fixation device. I was also thinking to use T84.7XX_.

Thanks again,
Cris Wampole