Wiki Infection Knee S/p Knee Replacement

Partha

Expert
Best answers
What is the correct way to ICD code for Infection knee S/p knee replacement?

post-surg infection knee replacement

996.66 for the infection of joint prosthesis and then V43.65 to specify the knee

Is the infection on the skin or is it in the joint prothesis itself? If it's the skin and you don't have a culture to go by for the organism type, I would use:

v4365
E8781

I agree with those codes for that situation....

but what if the patient had a Total Knee, ended up with a Septic Knee and had the Prost. removed. The patient is now presenting for Antibiotic Therapy at the Infusion Center. I have been using the 711.06 for my diagosis

aftercare to infection knee s/p knee replacement

How would you code an aftercare following a knee replacement that got sepsis?

aftercare to infection knee s/p knee replacement

Ok I found code 996.6 but I am trying to code the aftercare. Patient had a total knee replacement that became septic which resulted in another knee replacement with a new prosthesis. Patient is now coming back to home health care. Is there anyway to show a history of that? Help please! Thanks

Aftercare

The aftercare code for knee replacement is V54.81 along with V43.65. You can probably find the code you need for the complications of the surgury or prosthesis, which ever it is, under the subterm: complications.

Thank you

Thanks for responding I appreciate your help. We code Aftercare and found a code to show patient had complications with previous knee replacement. Thanks again for your help