Wiki Infected iliac crest

penguins11

Best answers
Hi, asking for suggestions on how to code infectedhip graft, iliac crest donor site incision. OR says, "the iliac crest incision was re-opened with the skin knife. Serosanguineous drainage was noted in the subcutaneous tissues. A sinus tract was noted to extend inferiorly. Blunt Finger dissection was used to follow this tract. The iliac crest donor site incision was copiously irrigated with antbiotic laced saline solution. A Jackson-Pratt drain was inserted into the iliac crest donor site incision. The subcutaneous tissues were closed....etc." I was looking at code 10180 or would 10140 be more appropriate? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, asking for suggestions on how to code infectedhip graft, iliac crest donor site incision. OR says, "the iliac crest incision was re-opened with the skin knife. Serosanguineous drainage was noted in the subcutaneous tissues. A sinus tract was noted to extend inferiorly. Blunt Finger dissection was used to follow this tract. The iliac crest donor site incision was copiously irrigated with antbiotic laced saline solution. A Jackson-Pratt drain was inserted into the iliac crest donor site incision. The subcutaneous tissues were closed....etc." I was looking at code 10180 or would 10140 be more appropriate? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

10140 is for I&D of hematoma, seroma or fluid collection
10180 is for I&D, complex, postoperative wound infection

I think selection of the code depends on the DX, whether there is an infection or not.

Thanks, I will look at the path report. I was always told to use 10140 for simple, 10180 for complex.