Wiki Incomplete bronchoscopy

marymurk

New
Best answers
Patient was given anesthesia prior to surgery and then developed tachycardia and hypotension. Surgery was then cancelled-since anesthesia was administered I coded 31624 with Mod 74 for facility and Mod 53 for physician pro fee. Billing has contacted me and said Medicare is rejecting the pro fee but they will send them medical records. My question is should I have coded the surgery at all? Patient then had a successful bronchoscopy a week later. I know from all my coding notes that if surgery is started, you may charge for it with a modifier stating cancelled surgery. Just doubting myself but I would like some input on this for future reference.

Patient was given anesthesia prior to surgery and then developed tachycardia and hypotension. Surgery was then cancelled-since anesthesia was administered I coded 31624 with Mod 74 for facility and Mod 53 for physician pro fee. Billing has contacted me and said Medicare is rejecting the pro fee but they will send them medical records. My question is should I have coded the surgery at all? Patient then had a successful bronchoscopy a week later. I know from all my coding notes that if surgery is started, you may charge for it with a modifier stating cancelled surgery. Just doubting myself but I would like some input on this for future reference.
Good Morning
My question is, was the surgery discontinued after the anesthesia was administered or after the surgery has already started? It seem as if you are contradicting yourself with the modifiers. 74 modifier says "discontinued outpatient procedure after anesthesia administration." The procedure can not go on if it was discontinued after the anesthesia was administered. Therefore you can not code the physician pro fee. You are correct that about the 53 modifier. It can be used if the surgery has already started. If it wasn't, do not code it at all.