Wiki Incident to services

AuditU

Networker
Best answers
Can a physician (MD) bill under another MD's number in an office setting while awaiting credentialing?
I have searched CMS website until I cannot see anymore and I cannot find anything specific on MD billing under MD.

Thank you

Can a physician (MD) bill under another MD's number in an office setting while awaiting credentialing?
I have searched CMS website until I cannot see anymore and I cannot find anything specific on MD billing under MD.

Thank you

Coding and Billing.

A major part of any physician practice's compliance program is the identification of risk areas associated with coding and billing. The following risk areas associated with billing have been among the most frequent subjects of investigations and audits by the OIG:

Knowing misuse of provider identification numbers, which results in improper billing; 16

Section 16- An example of this is when the practice bills for a service performed by Dr. B, who has not yet been issued a Medicare provider number, using Dr. A's Medicare provider number. Physician practices need to bill using the correct Medicare provider number, even if that means delaying billing until the physician receives his/her provider number.

http://oig.hhs.gov/authorities/docs/physician.pdf

Page 6