Wiki Incident to billing

Best answers
I need some clarification when billing "incident to"
If the APP is rendering the office visit and the physician documents accordingly that he agrees with the APP and performed the substantive portion of the visit how is this billed?
Is it correct to bill the physician as the billing provider and the APP the servicing provider?
Also, is a co-signature required from the physician?

I need some clarification when billing "incident to"
If the APP is rendering the office visit and the physician documents accordingly that he agrees with the APP and performed the substantive portion of the visit how is this billed?
Is it correct to bill the physician as the billing provider and the APP the servicing provider?
Also, is a co-signature required from the physician?

You're describing Split Shared, not Incident To. Split Shared is not allowed in an office setting, only in a facility setting.

You're describing Split Shared, not Incident To. Split Shared is not allowed in an office setting, only in a facility setting.
Thank you for the feedback.
Our office bills incident to billing for office visits frequently. So if an established patient with one of our physicians returns for a follow up for a problem the physician created the plan of care / treated and sees the APP for the follow up visit, this would qualify as incident to ?

Thank you for the feedback.
Our office bills incident to billing for office visits frequently. So if an established patient with one of our physicians returns for a follow up for a problem the physician created the plan of care / treated and sees the APP for the follow up visit, this would qualify as incident to ?

Yes, if ALL of the requirements for incident to billing are met. (The "substantive portion" of the visit language you referenced in the initial post comes from split shared facility visits, and is not part of incident to requirements.)

Incident To:

- Office setting
- Direct supervision of the physician (meaning a physician is in the office suite for the entire visit and immediately available for assistance/direction)
- Established patient with a plan of care initiated by the physician
- APP is following the physician's established plan of care (no new diagnoses during the visit - if a new secondary condition is evaluated by the APP during the visit, the services are no longer incident to the physician's treatment plan)
- Physician must actively participate and manage the patient's course of treatment (meaning that there must be subsequent physician services at a frequency that reflects the physician's continuing active management of the course of treatment)

Also the physician and the APP should both be employed or contracted by the practice and actively enrolled with Medicare (check with your commercial payers on their enrollment requirements)

You'll also want to be sure your documentation shows the link between the APP services and the physician services. I'm pasting below some documentation information from a recent presentation by Christine Hall on Incident To. (BTW - if you ever have the opportunity to hear Christine speak about Incident To, I highly recommend it. She breaks down the entire incident to benefit in a way that makes it easier to understand.)

Documentation requirements for patients seen under “incident to”:

• Identify who rendered the service
  • Indicate supervision requirement is met
  • Show physician’s initiation and continued involvement in treatment
  • Reasonable and necessary
  • Within scope of practice for the QHP

The documentation submitted to support billing “incident to” services must clearly link the services of the NPP auxiliary staff to the services of the supervision physician. Evidence of the link may include:

• Co-signature or legibly identify and credentials (i.e., MD, DO, NP, PA,etc.) of the both the practitioner who provided the service and thesupervising physician on documentation entries.
  • Documentation from other dates of service, for example the initial visit establishing the link between the two providers.
  • Make sure the name and professional designation of the person rendering the service is legible in the documentation of each service

Yes, if ALL of the requirements for incident to billing are met. (The "substantive portion" of the visit language you referenced in the initial post comes from split shared facility visits, and is not part of incident to requirements.)

Incident To:

- Office setting
- Direct supervision of the physician (meaning a physician is in the office suite for the entire visit and immediately available for assistance/direction)
- Established patient with a plan of care initiated by the physician
- APP is following the physician's established plan of care (no new diagnoses during the visit - if a new secondary condition is evaluated by the APP during the visit, the services are no longer incident to the physician's treatment plan)
- Physician must actively participate and manage the patient's course of treatment (meaning that there must be subsequent physician services at a frequency that reflects the physician's continuing active management of the course of treatment)

Also the physician and the APP should both be employed or contracted by the practice and actively enrolled with Medicare (check with your commercial payers on their enrollment requirements)

You'll also want to be sure your documentation shows the link between the APP services and the physician services. I'm pasting below some documentation information from a recent presentation by Christine Hall on Incident To. (BTW - if you ever have the opportunity to hear Christine speak about Incident To, I highly recommend it. She breaks down the entire incident to benefit in a way that makes it easier to understand.)

Documentation requirements for patients seen under “incident to”:

• Identify who rendered the service
  • Indicate supervision requirement is met
  • Show physician’s initiation and continued involvement in treatment
  • Reasonable and necessary
  • Within scope of practice for the QHP

The documentation submitted to support billing “incident to” services must clearly link the services of the NPP auxiliary staff to the services of the supervision physician. Evidence of the link may include:

• Co-signature or legibly identify and credentials (i.e., MD, DO, NP, PA,etc.) of the both the practitioner who provided the service and thesupervising physician on documentation entries.
  • Documentation from other dates of service, for example the initial visit establishing the link between the two providers.
  • Make sure the name and professional designation of the person rendering the service is legible in the documentation of each service
Thank you so much!

Speaking of Christine, it looks like she has a video about Incident To on her YouTube channel. It would be worth watching - she is very knowledgeable on the subject! (Most of my understanding comes from listening to her talk - my employer won't allow incident to billing because it exposes to so many compliance risks.)

Here's a link to her video: