Wiki Incident to billing documemtation?

ortho1991

Guru
Best answers
Documentation of incident to billing.

May 26 2014

FU L ankle

Diagnosis: Status post left ankle ORIF, February 20, 2014.

Disposition: Followup as needed.

Interval History: PT returns today for followup of his left ankle. He has finished physical therapy. He returned to work full duty, May 21, 2014. Overall, he is doing very well. He is still complaining of some numbness and tingling over his great toe, but does feel that he has been improving.

PE: On physical exam today, his incision is well healed. There is no tenderness to palpation over his medial and lateral malleolus. No pain with range of motion of his ankle. He does continue to note some decreased sensation over his great toe. Otherwise, his sensation is intact to light touch. His distal strength is 5/5

Imaging: X-rays taken in the office today; AP, lateral, and mortise views of his left ankle show his hardware to be in excellent position with his fracture to be well healed.

Plan: PT will continue with activities as tolerated and followup as needed.

Dr was in to reevaluate and reexamine the patient and agrees with the assessment and plan.
MD
Dictated By: PA-C

Is this proper dictation for incident to billing?

The PA see the pt does evaluation of pt Dr. comes in speak to pt and PA agrees with assessment as stated above, who should be signing off on this note the Dr. or the PA? This is a Medicare pt.

And if not a Medicare pt who needs sign note?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this are appreciated

Thank you

Both parties sign the note, and it is an example of incident to and can be billed using the physicians NPI. Your dx code is a V67 for healed fx.

Thanks Debra for you reply, do you have anything in writting that I can show my doc, he things its OK for just the PA to sign the note and bill under the physician NPI.

Incident to

Incident to rules and regs can be easily found by going to CMS and typing in incident to or going to MLN and typing in incident to it will give you CMS stand on this subject. I will tell you right now that the provider must sign the note or it cannot be billed under his name. I am an auditor and we will ask for the money back if the provider bills under their name but does not counter- sign the note.

Patti S