Wiki Implants Used to Repair Complications - What is the Policy?

cclarson

Guru
Best answers
When a doctor needs to use implants to repair a complication they caused intra-operatively, what is the proper way to handle the financial aspect of the situation? I know that, as a coder, not to bill out for any procedures used to repair the complications, but I wanted some clarity on if an implant is used. Are the implants reimbursable? Are there any articles out there that go into detail on this topic? Thank you in advance!

Why would the patient or insurance be billed or have to pay for something that was either a "never event" or an avoidable error caused by the physician?

Why would the patient or insurance be billed or have to pay for something that was either a "never event" or an avoidable error caused by the physician?
I'm aware of that, I just noticed that there isn't really any discussion anywhere that has concrete, "what to do and what not to do" for these kind of situations. I wanted support that I can fall back on should a complication ever occur that requires implants to repair. Are there any articles that I could use as reference?

Last edited:
All of the guidance I've seen regarding this is directed at the coding of the surgical treatment by the physician of the complication itself, not at the coding of any supplies or implants that might have been used in the process.

Assuming this occurs in a facility, any implants would always be a facility cost, not a physician charge, so my opinion is that it would be appropriate for the facility to charge for the implants. Facilities always report all of their costs involved in patient care and do not select out certain costs to not report based on any criteria such as this. (And even if you did not charge the implant on the claim itself, it will still appear on the facility's cost reports that are submitted to Medicare that are used in rate calculation.) In most cases, this extra charge for an implant would not affect the insurance payment or patient responsibility in any way since facilities are generally reimbursed at case rates which are inclusive to all services and supplies in the encounter. Unless you're dealing with a situation where a particular implant was very high cost and for which there was a carve-out or outlier payment in the particular payer contract that would apply, I think there wouldn't be any financial impact one way or the other. As a rule, the preventable occurrences in a facility are reported by diagnosis code and the 'Present On Admission' indicator, which will alert the payer to what has happened so that payment can be adjusted accordingly and there is no rule, that I'm aware of, governing what charges should or should not appear on the facility's claims due to complications.

Last edited:
All of the guidance I've seen regarding this is directed at the coding of the surgical treatment by the physician of the complication itself, not at the coding of any supplies or implants that might have been used in the process.

Assuming this occurs in a facility, any implants would always be a facility cost, not a physician charge,

I don't bill for facilities, so I'm curious... is this also true for a "never event"? Wrong patient, wrong procedure, or wrong body part?

I personally believe it is unethical to have the patient or the patient's insurance put out a dime for any of it. If another driver hit me, their insurance or the driver would be paying for my injuries. Injured by a crime? Every state has a Victims of Crime program to cover costs that the victim wouldn't have otherwise. The person responsible, or their insurance against such events, should be bearing all of the costs.

YMMV.

I don't bill for facilities, so I'm curious... is this also true for a "never event"? Wrong patient, wrong procedure, or wrong body part?

I personally believe it is unethical to have the patient or the patient's insurance put out a dime for any of it. If another driver hit me, their insurance or the driver would be paying for my injuries. Injured by a crime? Every state has a Victims of Crime program to cover costs that the victim wouldn't have otherwise. The person responsible, or their insurance against such events, should be bearing all of the costs.

YMMV.

Well, sure, if a patient is injured due to the negligence of a provider, of course it would be unethical. But is it ever up to a coder handling a chart to make such a determination? I think it would be even more unethical to handle such a situation to think that it could be remedied by just not charging for it.

Coders are not given workflows to change the coding or charging of an account based on their interpretation of whether or not an event was avoidable or the degree of a physician's liability for a particular complication. Those decisions would really be legal questions and up to the malpractice experts to decide. In a serious event such as this, especially in a facility, the patient's case would likely be taken on by the medical director and legal or compliance department for special handling and never seen by a coder.

Situations like this are really outside the scope of a coder's work. It's not up to a coder to make decisions about who is liable or what should or should not be coded charged based on what they read in a medical record. If a coder comes across a serious event that is concerning in the course of their work, the proper course of action is to refer the account to management for review and guidance, not to take unilateral action by simply determining what charges for a particular item should be deleted off of the account because they were potentially associated with an adverse event.

Last edited:

Assuming this occurs in a facility, any implants would always be a facility cost, not a physician charge, so my opinion is that it would be appropriate for the facility to charge for the implants. Facilities always report all of their costs involved in patient care and do not select out certain costs to not report based on any criteria such as this. (And even if you did not charge the implant on the claim itself, it will still appear on the facility's cost reports that are submitted to Medicare that are used in rate calculation.) In most cases, this extra charge for an implant would not affect the insurance payment or patient responsibility in any way since facilities are generally reimbursed at case rates which are inclusive to all services and supplies in the encounter. Unless you're dealing with a situation where a particular implant was very high cost and for which there was a carve-out or outlier payment in the particular payer contract that would apply, I think there wouldn't be any financial impact one way or the other. As a rule, the preventable occurrences in a facility are reported by diagnosis code and the 'Present On Admission' indicator, which will alert the payer to what has happened so that payment can be adjusted accordingly and there is no rule, that I'm aware of, governing what charges should or should not appear on the facility's claims due to complications.

Thank you for your input, I deeply appreciate it. I agree that, as a coder, the decision of how this sort of situation would be handled would not ultimately be mine, but rather that of higher management, since it's not my realm of expertise. I was seeking out the information more so with how to approach the situation should it ever occur when first brought to "higher management for review and guidance", as you have mentioned, and for personal clarity on the matter. This discussion has been very helpful.