Wiki Icd9 vol iii question

Mayra E. Ramirez

Networker
Best answers
An imaging center is billing 76700TC with a diagnosis of 746.4. The claims edit scrubs reject the claim as "None of the ICD-9 CM diagnosis codes on this claim line are frequently associated diagnosis for prodecure 76700"

The only crosscodes that Encoder Pro shows for 76700 is 88.74 (diagnostic ultrasound of digestive system) or 88.76 (diagnostic ultrasound of abdomen and retroperitoneum) these are Vol III codes.

This is my first experience with imaging billing, but I do not recall hearing about the use of Vol III codes from other imaging coders or billers.

Is this a new guideline for 2010? If so, then do I enter Vol III dx as primary, and use Vol I diagnosis as secondary or vice versa? Or, do I bill only the Vol III diagnosis?

Thanks in advance to any fellow coder that can enlighten me about this!

Mayra Ramirez, CPC.

Volume III of the ICD-9 is for procedure codes, not diagnosis codes. Two different things. I usually use the ICD-9 procedure codes instead of CPT codes for my inpatient charts, and use the CPT codes for outpatient procedures. Hope that helps clarify a little.

Leslie, thank you for your comment!:)

And, yes I agree with you that ICD9 VOL III is for procedures, that is why I am puzzled that Encoder Pro would only crosscode CPT 76700 to the level three codes because, as I mentioned on my posting, I am not aware of anyone else having coded an out patient imaging service using ICD9 Vol III codes.

Again, thank you so much for your answer.

Mayra

Are you using the correct ICD9 code? 764.4 (congential insufficiency of aortic valve) doesn't really match for an abdominal Ultrasound. Or possibly vice versa should you be using CPT code 76604 (chest ultrasound)? Check with the techs and/or Radiologist for the correct code.