Wiki ICD10- HIGHER PAY TO CODERS? Healthcare Industry Trends..

CLBLUE

Networker
Best answers
From a practice management point of view how is everyone handling compensating coders with the change to ICD10 considring the challenging changes of codes and coding to more Specificity. Are coders being given raises or higher pay per chart and/or per hour?

This question will help to understand from the hospital or physician practice point of view if they should pay more money for services due to ICD 10 changes. A loss in productivity due to new code sets is on the way. I would like to know how some people are handling. Coders and practice managers please answer. Is more money being requested or are current rates, contracrts and/or hourly pay remainning the same.

Thank you for you time.

Cleon Blue CPC

Hi All :)

I am an outpatient physician and hospital coder. No raise or reimbursement for the ICD-10 certification/education course I took through AAPC. Unfortunately, I was told it was my own responsibility to do what it takes to keep my CPC certification. This seems to be the norm though.

Clinic coder here. I think it boils down to coders who can handle 10 will have jobs, and coders who can't handle 10 will not have jobs (or a certification)

Think of it as you have a major pay bump over all those people who can't handle 10 and are earning $0.00/hr

Alternately, you could quit and gamble on how long it would take your company to replace you with a certified 10 coder. Maybe they could afford to let you leave, and maybe they couldn't

From a practice management point of view how is everyone handling compensating coders with the change to ICD10 considring the challenging changes of codes and coding to more Specificity. Are coders being given raises or higher pay per chart and/or per hour?

This question will help to understand from the hospital or physician practice point of view if they should pay more money for services due to ICD 10 changes. A loss in productivity due to new code sets is on the way. I would like to know how some people are handling. Coders and practice managers please answer. Is more money being requested or are current rates, contracrts and/or hourly pay remainning the same.

Thank you for you time.

Cleon Blue CPC

As a practice manager, I never even thought about increasing our coders wages due to ICD-10-CM. Coders should be able to code in ICD-10-CM as that is part of their profession and should have been trained and ready to do so. We did help prepare our coders to be ready for coding in ICD-10-CM but no raises were given for doing the job they were hired to do. I feel is no different than learning the new Code changes each year. If productivity goes down that mean money coming into the practice is also slowed down, so I truly do not see the practice giving raises when less money is coming in. This is just my personal opinion.