Wiki ICD-9 still in use?

buzznmee

New
Best answers

I am newly certified in ICD-10. I am finding that many jobs I am applying for seem to still be using ICD-9. Can someone explain to me is ICD-9 still in use and if so why? What would be the circumstances for it to still be in use? Would a coder new to ICD-10 be able to help them change over and would ICD-10 increase their revenue?
Thanks

ICD-10 is widely used (and required) for claims submitted to HIPAA covered entities in the U.S., which would include the bulk of the claims for the vast majority of providers and payers. I believe there are some payers that are exempt from the requirement (e.g. auto or work-comp), but I would think the ones still using ICD-9 would be few and far between. It's also possible that some employers that are not actually providing or billing for medical services (such as research institutes), might use the old classification system. But ICD-10 is the standard now in the medical industry, so I'm not sure why you would be find many employers using ICD-9 - perhaps they have not updated their job descriptions or have not converted their employment entrance exams or questionnaires to the current system? Have you inquired with any of them as to whether in fact they are still using ICD-9, and if so, why?

Last edited:
Icd-9

I am newly certified in ICD-10. I am finding that many jobs I am applying for seem to still be using ICD-9. Can someone explain to me is ICD-9 still in use and if so why? What would be the circumstances for it to still be in use? Would a coder new to ICD-10 be able to help them change over and would ICD-10 increase their revenue?
Thanks

What exactly do you mean 'many jobs still seem to be using ICD-9'? Perhaps you mean that the job description says the job will involve knowledge of ICD-9; this probably because they are using a very old job description which they pulled out from somewhere and didn't bother updating.
ICD-10 is not in use now, at least not in the US.

Icd-9

Thank you for the feedback. I think you both might be correct in the companies have not updated their job descriptions. I avoided putting in applications but will apply and see if I get any response from them.