Wiki ICD-10 (Volume 3 codes)

I am still teaching ICD-9 in my class, but ICD-10 is very much on the minds of the students. Perhaps I need to start with the fundamentals of ICD-10 with them, but I want as little confusion as possible.

Certainly you could "squeeze" I-10 into the end of the semester, provide students with an overview and assure them that their focus needs to be on learning ICD-9.

Since the certification exams they take and the work they'll be doing is based on ICD-9, there is not point for them to be exploring I-10 in too much depth. There are academic programs that are beginning to include I-10, so you might look at their models to see how it works.

Students have a difficult enough time gaining the skill and knowledge they need to be work-ready given the existing systems; I agree with you that it would prove confusing for them to have to learn 3 coding systems: ICD-9, HCPCS/CPT and ICD-10. Scale back their efforts. They have to understand that we'll all be on a level playing field just before and at the time of I-10 implementation.

I hope this helps.