Wiki ICD-10-PCS question

Best answers
Hi all,

I just finished my CPC Coding/Billing course, and am currently studying for the big exam.

I had an assignment that I got an A on (A for effort), but my instructor never got back to me (I emailed her twice) of what the correct code was for the following:

Right ureteroscopy, retrograde pyelogram, and right ureteral biopsy
Dx: Hematuria

I was told there should only be one code, so I coded the first procedure. However, after reading the guidelines, I put that I would also code the biopsy. I also stated that because there can only be one code, I chose 0TJ98ZZ.

My instructor wrote that she understood my logic (I won't paste my whole reasoning here). But: what is the correct procedue to code, and why? Thank you!

Thank you!!! ICD 10 PCS response

Hi,

Please check ICD-10 PCS code: 0TB68ZX

Regards,
Lavanya Mohan

I did pick that one in my response! I had a feeling that should be that one.

On the assignment, I said in full:

This one honestly had me lost. According to your input, there should be one code. According to the readings and references on the Internet, the code would be 0TJ98ZZ (for the ureteroscopy; there is no code to designate right or left). This is because we are supposed to code for the procedure most related to the diagnosis (in this case, Hematuria).
However, there was also a diagnostic imaging procedure and a biopsy. That made me wonder if the correct code should be 0TB68ZX, which allows for the right side designation and the biopsy, and wouldn’t the biopsy be the definitive procedure for finding out the cause of Hematuria?
If I HAD to pick just one code, I would go with 0TJ98ZZ as that is the primary procedure first in relation to the diagnosis.