Wiki ICD 10 dx codes for Behavioral Health

Brenda1973

Networker
Best answers
I have a psychiatrist using these codes frequently and I'd like to know if I am using the correct ICD 10 codes as its for behavioral health and the insomnia G code I am not sure about.

Diagnosis:
PTSD- F43.10
Unspecified anxiety disorder- F41.9
Insomnia- G47.00

Brenda
Is the PTSD is a chronic condition if so use dx F43.12. Provider must state chronic. Anxiety DO check block F41.9 is unspecified. But Anxiety with depression is F41.8 .Also if provider discerns such as Major Depression, Remissions, or Recurrent look at block of F32 and F33. Use Z history code if related in documentation such as Z72.81, Z73.3 Z86.59,Z63.4, Z91.51,Z02.83, and Z91.52.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T

Brenda
Is the PTSD is a chronic condition if so use dx F43.12. Provider must state chronic. Anxiety DO check block F41.9 is unspecified. But Anxiety with depression is F41.8 .Also if provider discerns such as Major Depression, Remissions, or Recurrent look at block of F32 and F33. Use Z history code if related in documentation such as Z72.81, Z73.3 Z86.59,Z63.4, Z91.51,Z02.83, and Z91.52.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T
Thank you, is the Insomnia G47.00 correct? as the provider is not stating a specific Insomnia, just Insomnia.

On another topic. If you don't mind me asking you! I have a psychiatrist using "unspecified depressive disorder" and I code F32.A. Do you agree with that code? I heard Medicare uses F32.9 and all other insurances use F32.A but I am not sure if that is correct, and I do not have access to which insurance the patient carries. I use the F32.A because that is what seems correct in the ICD-10 coding book.

F32.9 is Major depressive disorder, single episode, unspecified
F32.A is Depression, unspecified (Depression NOS, depressive disorder NOS)

Yes, I would agree that if the psychiatrist documents "unspecified depressive disorder, that would be the correct code.

If you have any questions about this, it might be worth a short discussion with the provider outlining the two possibilities.

The Medicare Billing and Coding article (formerly, the NCD/LCD) does not cover F32.A for psychotherapy services (the 90xxx series) however it would be covered for an E&M service. You should not code to what is on the NCD/LCD and will pay, but rather what is the most accurate code from the documentation.