Wiki ICD-10 codes for initial, subsequent, sequela

lrosselli

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone have clarification or examples on when to use initial, subsequent, and sequela for the ICD-10 codes for foreign body esophagus and stomach?

Does anyone have clarification or examples on when to use initial, subsequent, and sequela for the ICD-10 codes for foreign body esophagus and stomach?

Does it help that the official verbiage is "initial encounter" and "subsequent encounter" etc.? I don't see any additional guidance as far as if it is the same foreign body or if it is, say, four weeks later and it happens again if it is then subsequent. I would interpret it to mean this time is an initial encounter and four weeks from now would also be an initial encounter, but I don't see anything official explaining this.

The official definition is in your coding guidelines for 2015. The initial encounter is when the patient is receiving active treatment for the onjury, it is not based on whether the provider is seeing the payient for the first time. Subsequent is the same as aftercare when it goes to surveillance or healing status.