Wiki ICD-10 CM Draft vs Official Version

lisa.walker

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hopefully someone can help me. I was told by someone at a meeting that when the official ICD-10-CM is released that the X place holder will be removed on all the codes and replaced by numbers. Is this correct? Can someone clarify this for me please. I would appreciate any help you can give me.:confused:

NOT true the xx place holders allow for expansion or updates IF ever needed in the future of the ever changing world of medicine. Please read the instructions in the beginning of any ICD-10 book

Last edited:
NOT true the xx place holders allow for expansion or updates IF ever needed in the future of the ever changing world of medicine. Please read the instructions in the beginning of any ICD-10 book

The placeholder x(s) are there to hold a place open so that the other characters will remain in the position the belong in. The structure of ICD-10 CM is so rigid that in each category the 4 thru 7 characters each belong to their respective place. If a code does not have the 6th place characteristic but does require a 7th, then for the 7th character to be able to be 7th, there must be a placeholder in the 6th spot because a blank space is not a transmitable character. It really is not do much about future expansion.
There is nothing draft about the books that are labeled draft. They are all the finalized official code set that is not yet usable.

Thanks, I knew I wasn't nuts. I read and re read the guidelines but she is so determined to be right.:eek:

ICD 10 2015 version VERSUS 2016 version?

Is there any changes (e.g codes, guidelines) from the ICD 10 CM/PCS book 2015 version to the 2016 version??? .

Not as of this point in time for CM. PCS had some revisions and new codes effective 10,1, 2015 , this list can be found on the CM S website.

Last edited: