Wiki ICD 10 - ASC's coding with PCS?

Ann Johnson

Best answers
I continue to read that the new PCS codes, effective along with ICD-10 as of 10/1/15, are for inpatient hospital coding only. The new PCS codes will replace volume 3 of ICD-9 as are for hospital coding. I have been coding volume 3 ICD-9 codes per ASC administration request. But, PCS codes are overwhelming - even with PCS Mapping book to cross reference.

DO ANY ASC's CODE WITH VOLUME 3 FROM ICD-9 THAT WILL BE TRANSITIONING OVER TO ALSO CODE WITH THE NEW PCS CODES?

Just a quick response of YES or NO would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you -- Ann J.

I have no idea why you are being told to use volum 3 codes now. Someone just has to remove them before the claim can go thru. And No PCS codes will not be used in any out patient setting, which includes ASC. I have worked both outpatient hospital and ASC and at no time did we ever use volume 3 codes. If the coder had the encoder set to the wrong setting, then they did inadvertently assign the volum 3 codes and someone always had to remove when when the claim denied.

PCS Codes NOT used with ASC's

Debra -- Thank you for responding. I have coded for two separate surgery centers for 15+ years. One required the volume 3 codes and the other does not. There is no one removing the volume 3 codes, the claims have been sent with them.

I LOVE that PCS is NOT required, such a relief.

Again, thanks for responding as I just want confirmation.