Wiki IC9 or CPT codes for colonscopy coding

dvoegele

Best answers
We are a cah and have started to do colonscopies a few days per month. Past history shows that we used ICD9 procedure codes to code these, but should we be using the CPT procedure codes.
Can anyone give me inputs I have heard it go both ways, these are done as outpatient procedures mostly with biopsies.

ICD9 (International Classification of Diseases volume 9) are not procedure codes, they are diagnosis codes which will drive medical necessity for the CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) which are the procedure codes that describe the procedure. Medicare patients when colonoscopy is for screening purposes with no additional finding are coded with HCPCS G-Codes. Hope this helps

ICD-9 vol 3 are procedure codes for inpatient facility use only. If you are performing outpatient services the facility will use CPT codes. Physician coding is always done with CPT codes for the procedures.

Thank you for backing me up on this...for some reason they feel that they need to use both the ICD9 and the CPT procedure codes. Don't know why or if it has to do with us being a critical access hospital or what....oh well