Wiki I passed the ICD 10 Proficiency! Question...

krystle8402

Networker
Best answers
During the exam I came across two questions that I was not certain of. If we have a patient that is diagnosed with sciatica do we also diagnose low back pain pain, or is the low back pain just part of the sciatica? The same for a patient who is diagnosed with endometriosis. Do we also diagnose pelvic pain or just the endometriosis? I was thinking we would just code the sciatica or endometriosis but wasn't 100% certain. Thank you!

You would code the diagnosis, not the associated symptoms.

From the General Coding Guidelines

4. Signs and symptoms
Codes that describe symptoms and signs, as opposed to diagnoses, are acceptable for reporting purposes when a related definitive diagnosis has not been established (confirmed) by the provider. Chapter 18 of ICD-10-CM, Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical and Laboratory Findings, Not Elsewhere Classified (codes R00.0 - R99) contains many, but not all codes for symptoms.

5. Conditions that are an integral part of a disease process
Signs and symptoms that are associated routinely with a disease process should not be assigned as additional codes, unless otherwise instructed by the classification.

6. Conditions that are not an integral part of a disease process
Additional signs and symptoms that may not be associated routinely with a disease process should be coded when present